Thursday, September 8, 5:30-7:30pm
We are excited! Sumner Library has been working with community members all summer long to set up an Outdoor Reading Room at Lincoln School Playground. We have partnered with a Northside carpenter, a Northside artist, Summit Academy carpentry students, Little Free Libraries and the 4th Precinct Police, students at Best Academy, and many, many neighbors to pull together a reading space just for you.
You are invited to the Grand Opening. Share in free food, music, storytelling and other activities Thursday, September 8 from 5:30-7:30pm.
Activities and features at the celebration will include:
- Storytelling by Nothando Zulu (lives across the street from the playground)
- Blues piano by Cornbread Harris (lives near the playground)
- Story strolls along the fence led by Nothando Zulu and Sumner Library staff
- “Dear Lincoln Playground, this is what I hope for you…” opportunity for public to share their dreams for Lincoln Playground
- Contact info sign up for those who want to learn more, get on a mailing list, or get involved.
- Chalk and video activities by 10 X 10 design
- Watershed game and activity by Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
- Library cards issued, library event info on hand, Friends of Sumner info, by Sumner Library.
- Pavement art designed by artist and Northside resident, Melodee Strong, painted by around 150 Harvest Prep and Seed
- Academy students and 150 community members.
- Amphitheatre stage, book case and benches constructed by North Minneapolis carpenter Dale Myers
- Reading chairs designed and constructed by Summit Academy Students.
- Banner map to Sumner Library
- Potted trees by Cedar Ridge Landscaping
- Little Free Libraries donated by 4th Precinct Police
- Free books
- Free food by WholeSoul (a North Mpls food truck)
We would love to see you there and hear your dreams for Lincoln Playground!