The history of Lincoln playground starts in 1909 with the construction of the John Hay Elementary School. The school was a two-story masonry and wood building and built in 1909. In the early 1970’s the building was torn down and the site has been used as the playground for Lincoln school since then. Read a report of John Hay Elementary School (pdf) on the Minneapolis Public Schools website.
Lincoln Junior High School was built in 1923 and became an elementary school in the 1970s. In the early 1990’s, the school was closed and beginning in the early 2000’s has been leased to various charter schools. Lincoln Playground is located on the corner of Penn Avenue North and Oak Park Avenue site bounded on the west by Penn Avenue North.
Read a report of Lincoln Junior High school (pdf) on the Minneapolis Public Schools website.